These Sweet Chimichangas are the Perfect Hyggelig Summer Dessert
During the summer, probably one of the last things you want to do is turn the oven on, knowing that to do so would inevitably work against your best AC, temperature-managing efforts and heat up your home. This oven-aversion can sometimes feel like a limitation on what you can serve up for dessert during the warmer months outside of the usual ice cream, pudding and frozen novelty. Living in CNY, where the summers are not only hot but incredibly humid, I get it. I really do.
Scrolling through social one evening, Andy came across a version of these sweet chimichangas and we decided to give them a try, modifying them to make them our own. Granted, we actually cooked them up for breakfast (no shame or regrets) but they would definitely make for a satisfying summer dessert, as intended. The crunch of the crispy tortilla paired with the creamy cheesecake filling makes it a fun, textural eat and would be a sweet conclusion to a Tex-Mex themed dinner.
Aside from their whimsy, another bonus to these chimichangas is that they only require a handful of ingredients to make, come together pretty quickly (approximately 15 mins) and can satisfy that cheesecake craving without having to turn your oven on in the heat of summer.
While you can certainly throw them in the deep-fryer, Andy and I chose to air fry ours to keep them a little on the lighter side (plus we don’t actually own a deep-fryer). In the recipe below, I’ve also included some lightened-up ingredient swaps which subtract some fat and add protein without negatively affecting the flavor. This can also provide you with some flexibility based on whatever ingredients you have on hand in your refrigerator!
Check out the recipe below:
For the Chimichangas
- 1, 8 oz package of cream cheese (Light option: Neufchâtel cheese)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (Light option: plain Greek yogurt)
- 4, 8-inch flour tortillas (Light option: whole wheat tortillas)
- Vegetable oil (Light option: coconut oil)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, separated
For the Sugar coating
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Blend cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of sugar, vanilla extract and sour cream together in a bowl.
- Fold in 3/4 cup sliced strawberries.
- In a separate bowl, mix up your sugar coating. Set aside.
- Preheat your air fryer for at least 3 minutes to give it time to adequately warm up.
- Fill the tortillas with the filling and fold them up egg roll style. I recommend using toothpicks to ensure they’re firmly wrapped and hold together in the air fryer!
- Using a pastry brush, brush vegetable oil onto the tortillas.
- Place your chimichangas in the air fryer. Depending on the size of your fryer, you might have to do these two at a time. Air fry for 3 to 5 mins.
- Once the tortillas are nice and crispy, give them another (minimal) coating of oil before rolling them in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Top with extra strawberries and enjoy!
While I recommend enjoying these straight out of the fryer, you can also store them in the fridge overnight – they are a different level of delicious cold. Whip these up the next time the heat of summer is giving your sweet tooth a challenge!