Valentine’s Day is arguably one of the most hyggelig holidays. Afterall, it’s a day dedicated to showing appreciation for the ones we love most. And often doing so through a gift of chocolate and assorted confections. What’s more hygge than that?
While I’m always down for a box of assorted truffles, I love baking up holiday-themed goodies not only for my husband but also for my friends, family and co-workers. (If you’re a “Parks and Recreation” fan like I am, then you know that Galentine’s Day is an official holiday).
A treat that I especially love for Valentine’s Day? Red velvet crinkle cookies. Their red color make them perfectly festival for the holiday and their mild flavor is appealing for choco-holics and vanilla-lovers alike. This recipe is also perfect for novice bakers, making it a fun activity to enjoy with young bakers in the kitchen.
Check out my recipe for red velvet crinkle cookies below:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. red food coloring (Tip: use gel food coloring for more vibrant color!)
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and beat after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Roll about 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball, then roll ball in powdered sugar. Repeat with remaining dough then reroll each ball in powdered sugar again.
- Arrange balls about 1″ apart on prepared baking sheets and bake until cookies have flattened and set in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes
- Let cool on trays 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to let cool completely.
Bake up a batch of these to share with your loved one, your parents, your co-workers or your friends!